Views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not express those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

In Other News...

My leatherman (given to me by little bro) saw its first use in opening chocolate (given to me by mom) so I want to thank my family for supporting my dark chocolate addiction. If anyone else feels compelled to contribute, I’m sure I wouldn’t mind.

I am also being continually teased by a wireless internet signal I receive in my room that goes by the name of “Turbonett.” Unfortunately it is secured. I have not yet figured out how to pilfer a password.

Last weekend we visited an aunt to buy a rabbit and I left with a DVD given to me by a cousin. He designs and makes costumes for an annual New Years parade and the DVD was of his work. Once at home the whole fam gathered around my computer to watch. What we saw were giant dancing cartoon characters- that is the only description I can give them. Giant Pokemon, Flinstone, and Kung Fu Panda characters doing a choreographed dance through the streets of my town to the awe and great enjoyment of all. I gotta come back next New Years.

We recently visited a current volunteer in her site to see where she lives and the schools she works in. It made me very excited about the prospect of having a place of my own (although I do love my host fam), and about the work we will be doing in the schools. Of course our program is structured a bit differently than hers, as we are doing the second generation of the project, but the end results we are shooting for are the same. In her school they built a hand washing station, bathrooms with walls insulated with recycled bottles and trash, and an improved kitchen- all to make the school a “healthy school.” It was great to see the practical infrastructure projects that are possible, as well as the curriculum that is being implemented.

I am also working on packing on the pounds by eating lots of tortillas every chance I get- which happens to be three times a day, everyday. Apparently it is working because the other day the neighbor-boys told my aunt that I was nice and fat and pretty- not “dry” and delgadita like the other gringa that lives around here. Sweet.

This weekend I am going to attempt a lasagna without an oven… or ricotta chees...any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. hey lyd. thanks for the shout out. I made a lasagna on the flag trip once. It worked great in the dutch oven if you have something like that and just build a fire on the top and around it. And dont forget to put sauce in the bottom first. About the cheese, idk sounds tricky. Maybe like goat cheese, but idk. I hope you are doing well. I am praying for you daily. I love you a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny girl - I love you. mama

    ReplyDelete