Views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not express those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kaqchikel Lessons

Although studying Kaqchikel, the local Mayan language, is hard, after two weeks we are already seeing that it is worth the effort. When we present ourselves to parents in our rural schools in horribly pronounced and broken Kaqchikel we get a good laugh at least from all of the mothers. Then they start talking a mile a minute to us in Kaqchikel that we cannot understand.

Learning the language also gives interesting insight to the culture. For example, in Kaqchikel there are different words for brother and sister that specify a sister of a male, or a brother of a female. In Spanish and Kaqchikel there are specific nouns that differentiate between a married and unmarried man or woman. The difference is even more marked in Kaqchikel than Spanish. In English we have “Miss” or “Mrs.,” but these titles are rarely used unless addressing a specific person, and only apply to women. These aspects of the language show the importance in this culture of family to define identity.

Another cultural aspect reflected in the language is the generosity of the people here. I have been wondering for a while now why, when I am offered something, like say- a mango, they say “Quiere uno su mango?” (“Do you want your mango?”), instead of just “would you like a mango?”

Today I learned that in Kaqchikel every noun is preceded by a possessive pronoun. Instead of saying “I don’t have a brother,” one says “I don’t have my brother.” To ask for tortillas, one would say “Do you have your tortillas?” This grammatical structure has carried over to Spanish, resulting in “Do you want your mango?”

According to my gringa logic, if I needed a possessive pronoun to offer something to someone, I would have guessed that it would be “my.” As in “Would you like my mango?” Its mine and I am offering to give it to you. But here the transaction of offering something to me begins grammatically with it already being mine.
This idea is so beautiful and unselfish to me. I may be reading too much into it, but it seems to say that by offering something to another, nothing is taken away from the giver. I have time and time again met people here who live the idea that giving does not impoverish. No matter how much or how little they have, they are always ready to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Lydia -- LOVE your blogs - they never fail to bring a smile to my lips and expand my pt of view. Thank you. Love and hugs -

    ReplyDelete