Views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not express those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Good Morning




Its 6:30 am. Music starts blaring from loudspeakers in the street. I groan and roll over, thinking it will pass as normal. But the truck is parked in just a location so it seems to be inside my bedroom. Fireworks explode. More fireworks explode. Apparently they are not moving. I go out to my kitchen and then outside to see what is going on. I can’t hear the music quite as well out there as I can in my bed. There are no such things as public noise ordinances here. The sailing team would love it, but I don’t right now. So here I am, unfortunately awake on my first morning in my new house. Too bad I stayed up so late watching Lost episodes.
Yesterday I bid a fond farewell to my host family and moved two blocks down-hill into my casita. My landlady is very nice and I have two neighbors, but it is quiet with no kids running around. Although they did both call and text me last night to tell me they missed me. On my first day in two months choosing what I wanted to eat I cooked myself eggs and rice and beans. Hmmm… is this a bad or a good sign? Shopping for myself was fun, even though my host-mom actually did most of the bargaining and I came home with enough veggies to feed a small army.
On our one-month anniversary here in site things continue to go well. Laura and I visit schools when they don’t cancel on us. We are figuring out slowly how we are going to work. We continued to half-assedly train for our half-marathon which is in 3 weeks, and we enjoy running in the beautiful countryside here. Next on the list of things to buy is a bike. The hilly countryside would be so much fun to ride, and I could take it out to some of my schools. Then maybe I’ll buy some ear plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment