


Between searching out ingredients and skyping my little brother for cooking advice it took me all day- but I finally did it. I achieved a lasagna. My family took me to bargain in the market for the veggies, or more correctly, I took them to bargain in the market. My host aunt is a master negotiator, so I let her do most of the talking. There was no ricotta cheese to be found here in ******** (like that? I’m not supposed to name my town for security reasons. It makes me feel important and mysterious.) But I didn’t think it was worth the effort to bus it to the closest city just for ricotta cheese. I almost let this missing ingredient spoil my plans, but decided to forge ahead when I found the one and only hunk of mozzarella cheese in all the pueblo. The other thing that I was lacking was an oven. Well that’s not exactly true. We have an oven. It is used to store things…like salt. But gas is more expensive than fire wood so we don’t ever use it. My family was entirely ready and willing to go out and buy gas just so I could cook them some strange food. Luckily this was not necessary due to my intrepid skill at baking over a fire- huge shout out to Camp KOH…for girls and many Challenge trips. Despite the fact that I still need to perfect my recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce, I’d say it turned out pretty well. And yes- my family still ate it with tortillas…and sadly, so did I.

No comments:
Post a Comment