Views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not express those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Skinny jeans were not made for playing soccer…






That was lesson number one of field based training.

Other related lessons include: empty street + rocks = great cancha (soccer field), and kids love to juggle with the gringos…no matter how awkward they are. It’s been a few years since I’ve broken out my soccer skills, and I must admit they are a bit rusty, but one of my favorite parts of FBT was getting to play with some of the others PCTs. Hopefully I will get more chances during my time here to use sports as a way to cross cultural boundaries and meet people. While Twin takes on the entire continent of Africa with this mission, I will do what I can with Guate.

The rest of the week was spent traveling to schools in other areas and observing ricon de salud after rincon de salud. We happened to time our visits right with carnival and were attacked quite viciously by children with handfuls of glitter and confetti…one of us even had the luck to have an egg cracked over her head. Those kids are ruthless.

During the week we toured some awesome PCV houses. One thing that I absolutely can’t wait for is to paint the room(s) in my house when I get it. Seems random, but you gotta have something to strive for. I was surprised at how nice the houses were, many with mini-fridges and guest beds (hint-hint potential visitors). It was great to get to know the other people in my training class better, especially because soon I will be paired with one of them to work for 2 years. I also found the best calzone of my life in Tecpan. And I don’t think it’s just because it was something other than beans and tortillas.

We got the opportunity to participate in a training workshop for teachers and school directors in the healthy schools program. It was encouraging to see the enthusiasm of the volunteers and teachers and get to visualize how our project works. Peace Corps is in the process of making Healthy Schools a sustainable program through implementing trainings at higher levels in the education system and hopefully eventually mandating the program by law. It’s exciting to be part of a project that has seen such results and that is working so diligently towards being sustainable in the education system even after we leave.

P.S.
I have included a picture of me in a very tropical, relaxing looking location that may make some of you again ask the question…did you really join Peace Corps? Maybe this picture will help you understand my life-strategy of making friends with ecotourism volunteers. They have water parks. Even if the one slide is deathly terrifying in its sheer speed and the shallowness of the water at the end- it’s worth it.

Gotta go. My fam is making choco-bananos for my study session this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment