Views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not express those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Party in the G.U.A.

We are invited to a birthday party for a two year old. It starts at 10:00 am with a mass. 10:30 finds me scouring the market for a gift that is not a toy car, by 11:30 I am back at home socializing with my site-mate and playing with the new puppy. At 12:00 we make it to the party, imagining ourselves very Guatemalan for showing up 2 hours late. We are the first non-family guests there. Good job. So we settle in to normal party activity. Sitting and staring. About an hour later we eat lunch and are told that there is a piñata and a clown coming at 2:30. By now I no longer imagine myself Guatemala and begin to panic thinking of all of the other things I could be doing at home in the hour that I will spend staring at a wall and futily trying to start up conversations. Napping is at the top of my list along with taking my clothes down from the roof before it starts raining at 2 o’clock. At 2 pm we shamefully make our excuses and leave, so sorry to be missing the clown, but defeated by yet another Guatemalan social event . Bag of candy in hand I arrive home and am greeted by my landlady who says she is thinking about heading over at 3 for the piñata. When will I learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment