Views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not express those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

How many elotes locos are too many elotes locos?

This thought provoking question has arisen many times over the course of Feria in Patzún this year. Last year it wasn't an issue because I had yet to try an elote loco. I looked down upon them as a gross guatemalan combination of condiments. I ordered my elotes (corn on the cob) with lime and salt like a civilized person. But I don't know what came over me this year. Maybe I have become more open, less sensitive to varied culinary strategies, lost taste buds to sugar beverages, or gone off my rocker so to speak. But I decided that to criticize the elote I first should try it. I turned up my nose as the woman slather mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, and hot sauce on my corn. "Just a little mayo...light on the hot sauce... parmesean cheese please," and I had my elote. I am a bit ashamed to say that it was delicious. I hope to one day take this secret recipe back to the states and make a killing. Now I am just fighting to limit myself to just one elote loco a day. This is not a breakfast food.

The elote saga opened my eyes to the flow of creative ideas that Feria sets loose. Once a year we celebrate the patron saint of Patzún, St. Bernard (not the dog) with a week or so of candy, fair food, rides, parades, dances, rodeos, etc. I have found myself commenting repeatedly with Eric (who is visiting from the US... look out for his guest blog) on all of the great ideas people have had during Feria. I dedicate this blog to these people and the creative spirit.

Great idea #1: Neon yellow suits with ankle length coats and ... wait for it... neon orange shirts




Great idea #2: How to power a mobile Ferris Wheel? Got it! TRACTOR. It even has the advantage that it can go in reverse. Really fast.



Great Idea #3: As if the idea of having all of the kindergarden, first, and second grade students from all of the villages surrounding patzún come into town parade under the midday sun wasn't already a pretty good idea... the theme was "Traditions of Patzún," pretty legit. Kudos to the really great idea of bringing goats and handing out fresh milk along the parade route. The town authorities especially like it when the goats paraded onto the brand new soccer field that was being inaugurated.



Great Idea #4: Gringa in Traje. This actually was a pretty good idea. I think it is winning me votes toward my 2016 mayoral campaign.



Great Idea #5: FIRE. and crowds. and traditional mayan sports. See if you can spot the flaming ball and hockey sticks.



You'd think a popsicle on a hot day would be a winning idea...



Oh yea... and #7... ELOTE LOCO!!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds gross and delicious at the same time! I want to learn how to make it.

    ReplyDelete