Views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely my own and do not express those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Normal?

Yes, I just tried to blow dry my clean underwear. No, it didn’t work as well as expected. I should have sprung for the quick-dry, but Peace Corps said that I shouldn’t pack for a 2 year camping trip. What they didn’t tell me is that rainy season + no dryer, makes life tricky for someone who doesn’t do laundry ‘til they are wearing bathing-suit bottoms as underwear. Mom and E are coming to visit in a week, the list of things for them to bring just keeps getting longer. I am excited for their visit, as I think it will give me some perspective on the things here that I have gotten used to, or have become normal for me.

For example, while driving to a village where the landscape used to blow my mind, I only thought that it was “pretty.” The teachers next to me hardly seemed to notice anymore. It’s a bit sad to know that the amazing mountain vistas here no longer grab my attention like they used to, but it also makes me wonder what other amazing things I am failing to notice because they are familiar.

Another thing I notice that I am getting used to is living alone. Maybe that’s because I now have internet, which is almost like not being alone…but I wonder what having a roommate again will be like after I have gotten used to washing dishes when I want to and walking around in my long-underwear.

What else has become normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment